Online Talk Therapy
The Virtual Therapy You Need from the Comfort and Privacy of Your Home
Online talk therapy, also known as teletherapy, is similar to traditional therapy. Since in-person therapy doesn’t involve physical contact or laboratory tests, it’s possible to replicate most of the “therapy experience” virtually, especially with the advent of video chat. Online talk therapy can help with a wide range of conditions and issues including, but not limited to, depression, anxiety, relationship issues, trauma, and chronic stress. Since the Latinx Talk Therapy office is located in Chicago, IL, our therapists are clinically licensed in the state of Illinois and thus can only serve individuals in our state. With this in mind, only Illinois residents can partake in our online talk therapy services.
Setting up an online talk therapy session is super easy! After your appointment is scheduled you will receive an email notification to virtually sign the consent forms and add a card on file. You will receive an appointment reminder with a link to your session, all you have to do is click it at your appointment time. If you are using your cell phone as opposed to a computer, we also recommend downloading the HIPPA-compliant app “Telehealth by Simple Practice.”
How Online Talk Therapy Can Benefit You
Most research suggests that online talk therapy can be as effective as in-person therapy. In fact, online talk therapy from a licensed therapist provides a handful of great benefits including:
- Greater access to care: some people may not be able to partake in traditional talk therapy due to physical disabilities, location, or scheduling issues. Through online talk therapy, you’ll be able to access therapy services from the comfort of your own home.
- More privacy: By choosing online talk therapy, you won’t have to sit in the waiting room until your appointment hour arrives. In fact, you can also alleviate privacy concerns this way.
- Better public health: Thanks to online talk therapy, you’ll be able to receive the mental health treatment you require without having to risk the spread of infection during epidemics or pandemics. This is especially pertinent, especially right now during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Preparing for Your First Online Talk Therapy Session
Our online talk therapy services utilize HIPAA-secure video conferencing platforms to allow us and our clients to connect without having to meet in person. We understand how intimidating this may seem to those who don’t have much experience using technology. We’re also well aware of how awkward or uncomfortable it might be for people who are self-conscious or easily distracted. Further, privacy can also become a concern especially if you’re worried about family members or roommates overhearing your conversation with your therapist. Although these issues and barriers may seem impossible to overcome, we’re here to help. Below, we’ve provided some tips to help you overcome these potential issues.
Prepare your space before your online talk therapy session begins
Make sure you’re in a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed or overheard. Your bedroom, home office, basement, walk-in closet, or even your parked car can work. If you live with others (family or roommates) ask them to not disturb you during your session time. Also, make sure to ask them to not use the Wi-Fi during your session. This way, your connection won’t slow down. To add even more privacy, consider setting a small fan or speaker with music or white noise playing outside the door. This way, your roommates or family members won’t be able to overhear your conversation. Also, make sure your device (be it a computer, tablet, or smartphone) is fully charged, has a working camera and microphone. Consider plugging headphones or earbuds into your device as this improves both sound quality and improves privacy.
Maintaining communication with your therapist during a session
We understand that meeting with us to discuss mental health issues through virtual means can be somewhat uncomfortable or difficult, especially at first. In order for us to have the most fruitful session, it’s best to keep the following in mind:
- Speak clearly so we can understand what you’re saying. Check in periodically to make sure that we understand what you’re communicating with us.
- When speaking, try to make “eye contact” with your webcam. While speaking, instead of looking at the monitor to see your therapist, try to look into the webcam. This way, you will create a stronger connection between yourself and your therapist!
- Treat your online talk therapy session as you would treat any other in-person session. Avoid partaking in other tasks you wouldn’t engage in if you were in your therapist’s office such as folding laundry, cooking, or smoking.
Latinx Talk Therapy is Here for You
If you’re in the state of Illinois and you’re seeking therapy services, then you’ve come to the right place. Give us a call today to learn more about our online talk therapy services!