Immigration Psychological Evaluations for Chicago's Latinx Community
If you’re seeking asylum in the United States or you need assistance with visas, odds are you’ll require an immigration psychological evaluation. We know figuring out what steps to take can be stressful. But there’s no need to worry, Latinx Talk Therapy is here to help.
We offer immigration psychological evaluations to help those who seek better opportunities in the United States or for those who want to continue living their lives in the United States along with their loved ones. We want to help you share your story with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Facing potential separation and loss of your economic stability can be emotionally distressing and stressful. We can work in collaboration with your immigration attorneys to ensure you have all the proper documentation and information necessary for your proceeding. We speak Spanish, accept payment plans, and offer night and weekend appointments.
What Are Psychological Evaluations for Immigration Cases?
Psychological evaluations are psychosocial assessments that can be helpful to an immigration case that deals with Extreme Hardship Waivers, VAWA, DACA, U-Visas, and T-Visas. These evaluations outline the impact that your immigration experience has had on your mental health.
Our clinicians offer evaluations for the following immigration purposes:
- A psychological evaluation for Extreme Hardship assesses the impact on the individual if a separation from a family member occurs due to a non-citizen visa being denied. This evaluation helps the immigration court have a better understanding of the impact on the individual’s mental health, medical necessity, financial burden, and educational concerns.
- Certain people who come to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. In some cases, deportation is recommended for a young adult due to a criminal conviction. The psychosocial assessment could help determine if the conviction may have been a result of a mental disorder or domestic violence.
- A psychological evaluation for VAWA assesses the impact of physical, verbal, sexual, financial, or emotional abuse toward the individual. This evaluation helps establish the occurrence of domestic abuse in order to file for legal status separately from the U.S. citizen spouse.
- An immigration psychological evaluation for U-Visa assesses mental or physical abuse toward the individual who has been a victim of a qualifying crime such as sexual abuse, sexual harassment, abduction, extortion, fraud, false imprisonment, rape, stalking, murder, torture, hostage and blackmail. This evaluation helps assess the impact of abuse on the individual and is used when filing for a nonimmigrant visa set aside for victims that are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.
- A psychological evaluation for T-Visa assesses hardship and mental abuse to individuals who have been victims of human trafficking.
How Long Do They Take?
Immigration psychological evaluations are approximately three to four hours long and can be done in one visit or completed in several 1-hour visits. Before your appointment, the interviewer will review your relevant medical, mental health, legal, and education records.
What Happens During a Psychological Evaluation?
During your session, your clinical therapist will ask you questions regarding your personal background and mental health, your family, and discuss any medical and psychiatric conditions and medications. The information gathered is then used for an eight to ten-page detailed report that discusses hardship factors, results of mental status examination and scales, DSM-V diagnosis, implication, and recommendations. Our clinicians are bilingual and are fluent in native Spanish.
How Much Does a Psychological Evaluation Cost?
Immigration evaluations cost $800. Payment plans are available and the overall cost can be split up into two to three payments.
Contact Us for Assistance in Your Immigration Proceeding
A psychological immigration evaluation can take you a long way in your case of naturalization and residency in the U.S. You deserve a fair chance in the pathway towards U.S. citizenship. Give us a call today or request an appointment to learn more about what our evaluations can do for you.